Instant Science

Here you can find some personal reflections on issues concerning my professional interests.

These include Business Process Management, Organization Design, and the use of information technology in a wide sense.

Disclaimer: This blog is not an official Gartner publication. The content represents my personal point of view, but not necessarily the official standpoint of my employer.

Any comments are welcome!

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Feeling better

A couple of days ago, I had an interesting private discussion with some managers (no names and companies mentioned). We came to discuss about one of my favourite topics, Business Process Management

They were telling me that they had no real understanding of the business processes in their organization, but that some consultants were now doing a process analysis and mapping everything in visio files.

At that point I became a little irritated and told them that I consider it as management malpractice to be process-ignorant and that hiring consultants to paint visio-charts wouldn't make things better. Instead, they should aim for a holistic BPM approach and use a platform that is more than a painting tool. And if the consultant were not able to use other tools, the managers should ask themselves if they would trust a mechanic that would tell them that he doesn't know an allen key, but that those hexagon socket screw also could be removed with a cross recess screwdriver.

I don't know whether it had any effect, but at least I felt better afterwards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home