Instant Science

Here you can find some personal reflections on issues concerning my professional interests.

These include Business Process Management, Organization Design, and the use of information technology in a wide sense.

Disclaimer: This blog is not an official Gartner publication. The content represents my personal point of view, but not necessarily the official standpoint of my employer.

Any comments are welcome!

Monday, November 20, 2006

Top-down process map

One of my tasks is the development of a top-down overall process map at Levels 0-2. When the BPM Team started its work in September last year, there was a considerable number of process descriptions at a highly granular level, but little at medium- or top-level. As a consequence, it was rather difficult to develop a comprehensive picture of business processes that spans over various functions.

I have had several discussions with my boss regarding the mandate for developing the process map. It is my clear opinion that the development of a top-down map, starting at level 0, also requires an appropriate mandate by the executive board. Otherwise, it becomes considerably difficult to get the necessary support in the business units. I also tend to claim that this is "good practice" and after all, everybody teaches you at universities and conferences.

My boss, on the other hand, keeps telling me that this only happens in an ideal world and that we have to manage without a board decision, but that all VPs were informed about the initiative. The problem, as far as I am concerned, is that there is no requirement for an endorsement of the process map initiative from their side.

Let's see, how this develops ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home